How to teach `Advantage based` offence.by Coach Liam Flynn
In this video, I introduce 'Advantage based' offence. Traditionally, we have thought that when we have the ball on offence our goal is to create a 'good shot'. 'Advantage based' offence shifts the paradigm to where our goal on offence is to create 'advantages' which LEAD TO a 'good shot'.
What is an advantage? Advantages are essentially mistakes by the defence. Once we have an advantage, the players choose where the ball should go to attack the best advantages.
Some of the advantages introduced on the video are:
• Space Advantage: You are open to shoot
• Off balance defense: Your defender is off balanced and so we attack them off the dribble
• Numerical advantage: Offence outnumbers defense – offence makes decision as to whether to take the advantage or extend the advantage
• Lane Advantage – there is space to drive
The video shows a collection of small sided games and breakdown drills to introduce and refine the concept of 'Advantage based' offence. It also displays the training environment we use which gives players the opportunity to improve their decision making. The teaching points are simple and clear, and can be used for teams of all ages and skill level.
• Twenty eight years coaching experience at all levels of the game.
• Previously coached in professional leagues in Israel, Germany, China, Australia and New Zealand
• Consultant to NBA Teams, NBA players, as well as, professional players based in Spain, France and Italy.
• Twenty years coaching experience at junior elite level in Australia.
• Masters in Sports Coaching (University of Queensland).
• Coach Educator and Clinician