Course 3: Zone Dive and Speed Optionby Kelley Lee
Learn Triple Option from a College Coach
2nd Video of a 3-part Video Series
The GROUND STRIKE triple option offense is....
- A Flexbone team that throws the ball
- Is ran Under Center and in the Gun
- Has some WingT elements
This Video builds off the previous video which covered the BASICS of the Inside Veer.
Could be called veer dive but the triple option inner circles call it ZONE DIVE....
WHY CALL IT ZONE DIVE???
- The Slot & Tackle zone block, combo block the DE to the Lber
- If the End slants hard in the B-gap, tackle washes him down and the Slot climbs for Playside Lber
- They are the only two guys whose assignments have changed.
- Everyone else runs Inside Veer
This continues with the GROUND STRIKE overall philosophy of running lots of different looks while only using one blocking scheme
- 9 players run Inside Veer...only 2 guys change assignments
- FB knows he gets the ball so he can hit it hard and be ready for the cut back
QB doesn't have to read anyone
- speed option is off the veer scheme
- Pitch off the #2 (normal read key on veer) and arc #3 ( normal pitch key on veer)
- Gets the ball pitched and on the peremiter when the defensive assignments are forcing gives or Qb runs on the triple option or Inside Veer
Coach Lee played & coached under his Hall-of-Fame father
Played QB in both the WingT and the Air Raid
Learned Triple Option from legend Harold "Bud" Elliot who was from the Fisher DeBerry & Ken Hatfield coaching tree
Coach Lee has ran TRIPLE OPTION for 20 years...
--> from Flexbone, Wishbone, I Bone, Split Backs, Gun, and Pistol
-->has led the nation multiple times in Rushing and Time of Possession
-->has finished in the Top 10 in Scoring Offense, Total Offense, Pass Effeciency, 3rd/4th Down Conversion, & Yards Per Pass Completion
--> The all-time leader in career win percentage at Eastern New Mexico University
—>12-0 as a College Head Coach in games decided by 7 points or less The GROUND STRIKE Triple Option also works at high school level....
The all-time leader in career win percentage at Eastern New Mexico....Coach Lee also took a 1-9 high school team to the state semi-finals
- at Valencia HS in New Mexico, he took over a 1-9 program and turned them into a contender going 26-9, reaching state playoffs all 3 years while averaging 50 points per game.
He understands what it is like to coach at the high school level
Coach Lee's Coaching Career...
- 2017-present has been HC at Eastern New Mexico
- Number 2 rushing offense in NCAA Division II in 2019
- led all of Division II in three categories during the 2017 season including rushing offense (352.7 ypg), time of possession (36:40),
- 2012-2016 was OC at Eastern New Mexico.
- Number one rushing offense in Lone Star conference at 345 yards per game
- three running backs that have set the single-season record for rushing yards and career record for rushing yards in Paul Terry, (1,881, 2019) E'lon Spight (1,611; 2014) and Kamal Cass (4,301; 2014-17), respectively.
- 2009-11 was HC at Valencia HS.
- 2008 was OC at Midland College where offense ranked Top 10 in NAIA in several categories
- 2006-07 as OC at New Mexico Military Instituge, finished 2nd in nation in rushing both years
- 2004-05 OC at Hot Springs High School
- 2001-02 was RB & QB coach at Eastern New Mexico
- 1996-2000 played QB at Western New Mexico
- Played in 4 state championships in football, basketball, and track at Hot Springs HS in New Mexico