Defensive Decision Making (from online presentation to Italian Basketball Coaches 2020)by Coach Liam Flynn
As coaches, we talk about decision making on the offensive end a lot. Why not the defensive end? Of course it is important of having a defensive 'system'. A way of doing thigs. Just like it is important to have an offensive system. But we allow and encourage decision making within our system on offence, but not so much on defence. Lets change that and encourgae our players to be thinkers on defence, not just 'do-ers'. You can teach defensive decision making all the way down to youth teams – it takes time, teaching and trust.
In this presentation I show numerous examples of where players can make decisions on the defensive end and the steps coaches can take to teach them. Included in this content is also the video with my slides from the presentation (Video 1) - so you can watch them along at your own speed.
• Twenty seven years coaching experience
• Current Assistant Coach at Professional Club, Hapoel Jerusalem, which competes in the FIBA Basketball Champions League and Israel Winner League.
• Consultant to NBA Teams and professional players.
• Previously coach in professional leagues in Germany, China, Australia and New Zealand
• Twenty years coaching experience at junior elite level in Australia
• Masters in Sports Coaching (University of Queensland).
• Coach Educator and Clinician