Course 11: Vertical Concept & Slot Optionby Kelley Lee
A Triple Option Team that THROWS the ball???
The threat of the pass has allowed the GROUND STRIKE OFFENSE to be an NCAA rushing leader
Head coach Kelley Lee played QB in and learned the BYU passing system while he was a QB at WNMU from his OC who coached and played at BYU
Coach uses a ton of gamefilm to show you the QB read progression...
Besides the Vertical concept
- backside skinny is a unique concept to the vertical passing game and puts the free safety in both run pass conflict and a difficult horizontal stretch
- How to run the same concept out of multiple tight and spread formations
- Verticals out of Quad formation
- Slot Option can be a vertical concept or strong side flood depending on the free safeties reaction
- Slot option make you right as a play caller
- Backside Flag
- Backside Drag
- slot option play
- Sail Concept
Coach Lee played & coached under his Hall-of-Fame father
- Played QB in both the WingT in High School and the Air Raid in College
Coach Lee has ran TRIPLE OPTION for 20 years....
- from Flexbone, Wishbone, I Bone Split Backs, Gun, and Pistol
- has led the nation in Rushing and Time of Possession multiple times
- has finished in the Top 10 in the Nation in Scoring Offense, Total Offense, Pass Effeciency, 3rd/4th Down Conversion, & Yards Per Pass Competion
- The all-time leader in career win percentage at Eastern New Mexico....
The GROUND STRIKE Triple Option also works at high school level....
Coach Lee also took a 1-9 high school team to the state semi-finals
- at Valencia HS in New Mexico, he took over a 1-9 program and turned them into a contender going 26-9, reaching state playoffs all 3 years while averaging 50 points per game.
- He understands what it is like to coach at the high school level
Coach Lee's Coaching Career...
- 2017-present has been HC at Eastern New Mexico
- 2019 Number 2 rushing offense in NCAA Division II and led nation in Time of Possession
- 2017 led all of Division II in three categories during the season including rushing offense (352.7 ypg) and time of possession (36:40)
- 2012-2016 was OC at Eastern New Mexico.
- Number one rushing offense in Lone Star conference at 345 yards per game
- three running backs that have set the single-season record for rushing yards and career record for rushing yards in Paul Terry, (1,881, 2019) E'lon Spight (1,611; 2014) and Kamal Cass (4,301;2014-17), respectively.
- 2009-11 was HC at Valencia HS.
- 2008 as OC at Midland College where offense ranked Top 10 in NAIA in several categories
- 2006-07 as OC at New Mexico Military Instituge, finished 2nd in nation in rushing both years
- 2004-05 OC at Hot Springs High School,
- 2002-03 was RB & QB coach at Eastern New Mexico
- 1996-2000 played QB at Western New Mexico
- Played in 4 state championships in football, basketball, and track at Hot Springs HS in New Mexico