Cherry Picking Basketball Systemby Tyler Whitcomb
"Do you have the Basket balls to run this Cherry Picking system"
"Cherry picking" is a concept that has been around for many years but you rarely see it anymore. Years ago you might have seen a team play half-court defense with just four players and send one player deep toward their basket. The idea was to get the rebound and quickly make the long throw down-court to your "cherry-picker" for an easy lay-up. And it worked sometimes.
Coach Whitcomb has used something similar that he calls his "cherry-picking system". First, this is not something you would want to do the entire game, as defending 4 against 5 is going to cost you over the long haul. But you might try it in a special situation... after a time-out, or with a call from the bench.
Running it for just a possesion or two, may confuse the offense initially, or might force them out of their usual offense by making them drop one offensive player back for defense. But after a time-out or a couple possessions, they'll figure it out, and so then you drop it and go back to your usual 5-on-5 defense.
Obviously then, pick the game situations wherein you think this might work... and might not. If you are trailing by 10 with limited time remaining and no shot clock, the opponent could just delay and run out the clock playing 5-on-4.
Athletic Director/ Boys Varsity Basketball Coach
West Michigan Aviation Academy – Grand Rapids, MI
Athletic Director/ Men’s Basketball Coach
Howe Military Academy – Howe, IN
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Kalamazoo Valley Community College
College Basketball Scout
International Basketball League - Portland, OR
Owner/ Director of Basketball Operations, Grand Rapids Flight (IBL)
IBL Final Four
Owner/ Director of basketball Operations, Holland Blast
International Basketball League
Phase 1 and 2 logger
Synergy Sports Technology - Phoenix, AZ
Varsity Girls Basketball Coach
Tri Unity Christian High School - Wyoming, MI
Bachelor's in Sports/ Recreation Management
Concordia University of Chicago
Registered Athletic Administrator Certificate - NIAAA
Human Resources Management certificate – Concordia University of Chicago
Pace Certificate – Program of Athletic Coaches Education - Levels 1 and 2
Basketball General Manager/ Scouting certificate - Sports Management World Wide
• Bachelor’s Degree in Sports and Recreation Management – Concordia University
• Registered Athletic Administrator – NIAAA
• Basketball Coach with 18 years of experience
• 2006 International Basketball League - Executive of the year
• 40 under 40 business leaders (Grand Rapids Business Journal – 2006)
• Director of Basketball Operations ( Holland Blast/ Grand Rapids Flight)
• 2012 Regional Basketball coach of the year – Finalist (MHSAA)
• Team Consultant for Michigan Mayhem of the CBA
• Youngest Professional Sports owner in the United States (2004)
• Over 100 victories in Pro Basketball
• Certificate in Digital Video Editing ( SMWW/ Synergy Sports)
• Phase 1 and 2 logger for Synergy Sports Technology
• Have put over 60 pro players overseas