Blazer Defense - Bill Clarkby Alabama Football Coaches Association
Do you want to create a culture and make your defense unstoppable? Well, you've come to the right place! In this course, Coach Bill Clark reveals how to create a culture that can turn your team around. He also reveals the keys to his defensive structure that will help you stop the offense. If you are a coach who wants to create a winning culture and create a strong defense, then this course is a must!
He begins the course by talking about winning culture and how you can create it. Then he breaks down the culture that has worked for him and his team. He breaks down that it all starts with a foundation of beliefs. These beliefs can be anything you want your team to focus on, but you need to preach them to your players and get them all on board. His foundations of belief are:
- Faith - gives confidence when there is doubt and produces patience and perseverance.
- Family - creating a cohesive unit with your team. Making your staff and players on the same page. Giving opportunities to see each other outside of practice and game day.
- Communication - very important for defense. Coach has staff meetings 3 times a day. You have to communicate your expectations to your staff to properly make your team successful. You also need to have clear communication with your players to fully operate the plays and calls you want to make.
- Accountability - goes hand in hand with great defense. You have to be there for your staff and team. Don't enable but empower them.
- Discipline - It is possible to still coach "hard" in today's world. You need to build relationships with your players and treat them all the same. He also states that you should not be afraid to demand excellence. Hold your team to a high standard.
These foundations of beliefs are what got their team through the covid season. They had the discipline to protect the team, found new and creative ways to communicate with the team, and held each other accountable to follow the right protocols to keep everyone safe.
He then moves on to talk about how he combats offenses and how important the fundamentals and reps are. Practice makes perfect and he reveals the top 3 initiatives that help make his defense work. He also speaks on 3 consecutive top 10 defenses.
Then, he moves on to reveal the 3 P's of his defense that you need to know to emulate successful defense. This will give your defense the organizational and physical structure and plan you need to take on any kind of offense.
If you are a coach who wants to take your defense to the next level and create a strong culture, then this is the course for you!
Bill Clark | University of Alabama Birmingham | Head Coach
- UAB (2014-Present) - Head Coach
- Jacksonville State (2013-2014) - Head Coach
- South Alabama (2008-2013) - Defensive Coordinator
- Prattville High School (1999-2008) - Head Coach
- Dothan High School (1997-1998)
- Coffee County High School (1995-1996)
- Tuscaloosa County High School (1992-1994)
- Piedmont High School (1990-1991)
- Conference USA ChampionsConference - 2020
- USA West Division Champions (C-USA record third straight West title) - 2020
- Conference USA West Division Champions - 2019
- Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Watch List - 2019
- Eddie Robinson National Coach of the Year (FWAA) - 2018
- CBS Sports National Coach of the Year - 2018
- Sporting News National Coach of the Year - 2018
- Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Finalist - 2018
- George Munger Coach of the Year Semifinalist (Maxwell Football Club) - 2018
- Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl Champion - 2018
- Conference USA Champions - 2018
- Conference USA West Division Champions - 2018
- CBS Sports National Coach of the Year - 2017
- Conference USA Coach of the Year - 2017
- Thomas Brookshier Spirit Award (Maxwell Football Club) - 2017
- Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Finalist (FWAA) - 2017
- George Munger Coach of the Year Semifinalist (Maxwell Football Club) - 2017
- "The Herbies" National Coach of the Year (Kirk Herbstreit) - 2017
- Bleacher Report National Coach of the Year - 2017
- Capital One Orange Bowl-FWAA Courage Award Nominee - 2017